Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Nazi Helicarrier!!

Now, I think that a lot of folks out there believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. invented the Helicarrier (no doubt with substantial help from Tony Stark and Jack Kirby...

Well, not so fast. Let's go back a couple of decades, as the Nazis are somehow bombing U.S. war production facilities and using poison gas on American cities without any planes or missiles being sighted. 

The original Human Torch and Toro are investigating, but they can find nothing...

It turns out they weren't looking high enough!

"Der-Tag" is the name of the colossal plane/boat.

You have to admit that this is an impressive ship. I love how it's hauled around by blimps, and I especially love that the cannons which pump out poison gas are labeled "poison gas." Don't even try to hide your war crimes!!

And, yeah, initially Der-Tag has some success.

But Nazis are always over-confident!

But they should never forget...

Two Torches can seriously frak up your ship!!

I hope S.H.I.E.L.D. remembered to make theirs flame-proof...

S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier is from Strange Tales #135 (1965). Nazi Helicarrier's brief life is from All-Winners Comics #11 (1943)

4 comments:

Smurfswacker said...

I'm intrigued by the airships UNDER the carrier. Presumably they're pushing up on it? Interesting design choice.

Madman said...

Yes, I understand that it's the comics, but a human cannot survive without a suit at 60,000 feet. I can see how the Torch and Toro could "flame on" at that height, either. I also don't think that a blimp could survive at that height either.

Oh well.

Madman said...

Ooops, I meant to say that "I can NOT see how the Torch and Toro could "flame on" at that height.

snell said...

Smurfswacker--panels I didn't showed the Nazis using them like shuttlecraft, going back and forth between the ship & surface for supplies, etc.

Madman--you're several decades--and several million miles--too late to worry about how high the Human Torch can fly.