Sunday, July 15, 2012

THIS REALLY HAPPENED--Lest We Forget

You might want to remove the children from the room...(go ahead, I'll wait)

...because we've got to flash back to a terrible time in our history, a time when we had apparently lost all control, a time when...

...well, a time when this happened:

Yes, THIS REALLY HAPPENED.

This is how Marvel wanted to portray Thor in 1996. This is what they wanted the cover of Thor #500 to look like. And yes, that's Amora the Enchantress. Because that's how goddesses dressed in the 90s.

As terrifying as it is, let's zoom in as little:

Ye. Gods.

Never forget, my friends, lest we doom ourselves to repeat the past.

10 comments:

Ron said...

The Enchantress has the worst case of scoliosis I've ever seen...

Marionette said...

It can't be the 90's - Where are the pouches?

snell said...

The pouches are obviously on his tunic, which must be at the laundry...

SallyP said...

Ahh...nothing like '90's art to make us all sit up and say..."What were we thinking?"

Harry said...

I'm glad I stopped reading comics in the 80s...

Martin Gray said...

Yechh.

Mind, I never got over Thor going to bed with Amora, and forgetting his thees and thous.

Stephen said...

Yeah... I bought this comic when it came out. I ran across it in one of my boxes the other day. I am ashamed.

notintheface said...

Sadly, yes, I think I own it too.

I wonder if Ami Angelwings has seen this yet?

spiderkev said...

Beats what's going on in Thor these days.I mean,come on ,the Enchantress is dragging around Don Blakes' severed head,while an ugly"god" emerged from his decapitated body?WTF? I've had fever dreams that make more sense than Thor does right now.Walt Simonson is doing the covers right now,Lord ,I wish he'd come back as writer.

snell said...

Oh, I'm hardly defending current Thor, where Fraction has no grasp of the character (or of pacing, storytelling, etc). Still, you have to admit, the Enchantress looks a lot better now than in 1996...