Monday, June 23, 2008

Manic Monday--Livin' on a Prayer

The back cover to Avengers #167, (1978):

...and please help the Avengers smite Korvac the Machine Man...O....K....You know, this comic has been in my collection for 30 years now, and you'd think I would remember a cover like this, but I had absolutely no memory of this. Let's take a closer look:

Ahh, the less scary version? Where's 'If I die before I wake?'
Bother John??Well, isn't that special??

Not to stereotype, but were 1978 Avengers readers really the audience they were looking for??

1 comment:

allendl181 said...

I love the elliptical pause as she considers whether daddy should be blessed or not. And am I the only one who finds the description more than a trifle skeevy? "dressed in a silken, nylon nightie", "under her nightie", "hands and head are soft washable vinyl", "her beautiful lifelike hair", "her delightful voice" comes from "in her tummy"? And the capper: "Money back refund if you (and your favorite little girl) are not perfectly delighted." Who is this "you" they speak of who is buying praying dolls in realistic nighties for their favorite little girl? Who was this ad aimed at? Chester the Molester?