Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Check the Angular Vector of the Moon!!

Klytus, I'm bored...what plaything can you offer me today? At last, my life is complete.

This goes beyond guilty pleasure. Flash Gordon is perhaps my favortist film ever. Not the best, by any means. But my favoritist.

By rough estimations, I have seen this movie more times than I have seen any other movie...at least 35 times completely through, probably more. Nah, probably more like 40.

For reasons lost to the mists of time, this movie became the absolute favorite of the Portage Northern High School Debate team (man, my nerd flags are flying high today). We turned it into our personal Rocky Horror Picture Show. We learned it so well we would jump up in the theater and shout out the lines along with the cast: "No, not the bore-worms!!" Note: this behavior resulted in our being asked to leave the theater more than once as we were "scaring" the normal patrons.

Then, when the movie came out on HBO, well, I tested out how many times a movie taped off cable could be watched before it faded/broke (not to mention giving a great shakedown to my parents' new-fangled VCR).

And now it's out on a "special edition" DVD. And I have it. And I'm gonna see how high I can run my numbers of viewings up to.

Join me...go out and rent it--hell, buy it--and join Sam Jones, Melody Anderson, Ornella Muti, Max Von Sydow, Timothy Dalton, Brian Blessed and Topol, and wallow in the camp happiness.

6 comments:

Erin McDonald said...

Im watching Flash Gordon right now!

Erin McDonald said...

Im watching Flash Gordon right now!

steelershane70 said...

I'm watching it as I type this lol. This movie gets a bad rap but I love it! Takes me back to my youth.

steelershane70 said...

And is there a cooler soundtrack in any movie?? Queen rocks!!!

Unknown said...

I've only seen it once, but I loved it.

I think my favourite bit was:

Princess Aura: You may see me sooner than you think.
KISS
Prince Barin: Lying bitch.

Doc Thompson said...

This goes beyond guilty pleasure. Flash Gordon is perhaps not my favortist film ever. Not the best, by any means. But it a favorite guilty pleasure like Doc Savage.Sure they messed up places,like the fruite bowl planets and embarressing sex jokes,but you can watch it.beside,except a filmation series and buster crabbe,all other flash gordon projects stink.glad least there is a halfway good one.